Taking wellness off the mat, today we are making a super simple and quick face serum that is just amazing for the skin…I’ve been using this basic blend for a decade and personally I think my skin looks better now than it did when I started!
For easy reference the recipe we used is as follows:
DIY Face Serum
- 9 drops Lavender
- 9 drops Frankincense Frereana
- 9 drops Copaiba
- splash of Vitamin E oil
- top off with carrier oil of choice – in the video I used Grapeseed Oil
The reason I have chosen each of these oils is for their amazing skin benefits! Let’s start with the lavender….I mean who doesn’t love lavender, its calming and relaxing properties make for a great addition to this blend and more important it is great for our skin by helping to sooth alterations in the skins integrity like those from sun exposure or minor burns. Next up frankincense, there are a few different types of this oil and this one specifically, the frankincense frereana, is great for the skin. In my own blend I use one of Plant Therapy’s synergy blends that combines four types of frankincense into one, it is called Fantastic Franks, you can use either or when making your own. Whichever you choose we have this in the blend for its amazing skin rejuvenating properties, it helps smooth the appearance of wrinkles, scars, dry and damaged skin and it can help promote natural healing of a wound or cut….this is part of what takes this from just your face to my own magic potion for all things skin! Last but not least copaiba; this oil acts as a booster just making the whole blend better, it’s also great for tightening the skin and evening the skin tone.
This serum makes a great basic blend to take care of our skin and keep it healthy and looking its best. There are plenty of other oils that are wonderful for the skin so feel free to tweak this recipe for your own needs by adding other oils or switching up the carrier oil you use.
The other big component of this blend is the carrier oil, when I started making this years ago I picked grapeseed oil because it is great for sensitive skin and I was dealing with a lot of skin issues and adult acne at the time. There are lots of options for carrier oils and I will share a few other options with you below, you know what they say…”if it aint broke dont fix it”…so I have never changed my carrier oil. I can honestly say my skin is in way better shape today at 35 than it was at 25 when I started learning how to take care of myself. Feel free to use your oil of choice when mixing this up, here are some other common oils:
- Apricot Kernel Oil – good for all skin types, rich and nourishing, little scent and absorbs quickly into the skin.
- Coconut Oil – this is used to create a barrier on the skin, not a great oil for this purpose. Also anytime we use coconut oil with essential oils to make blends like for rollerballs, we are using fractionated coconut oil, the liquid form, not the solid kind – this we can use for lotions or balms – something we want as more of a solid. Just keep in mind there are two styles of this.
- Jojoba Oil – this oil closely resembles the sebum of the skin and is rich in Vitamin E, it promotes a glowing complexion.
- Safflower Oil – another oil that is easily absorbed and is popular choice for moisturizing cosmetics.
- Sweet Almond Oil – known for its ability to soften and recondition the skin, rich in proteins and Vitamin D, and considered extremely nourishing.
- Avocado Oil – this is typically added in small amounts to other oils in order to enrich protein and vitamin content.
- Grapeseed Oil – this is preferred oil for its light and satin like finish, has some astringent qualities and is great for oily, acne prone skin.
- Rosehip Seed Oil – great for helping treat dry, irritated or weathered skin, also good for scars and stretch marks, not good for acne prone skin.
- Sesame Oil – rich in many vitamins and minerals, an excellent emollient, best when diluted with other carrier oils as part of a massage oil.
My oils of choice come from Plant Therapy, I did a ton of research when I started using oils and this was the company I chose and I haven’t looked back! Great company, great products, awesome prices, free and fast shipping, and their site has amazing info on how to use oils safely. I love them so much I even signed on as an affiliate to help spread the word about their incredible products….click here to shop for great products while also helping support me to provide this useful content for you.